As the days get shorter and the weather turns colder, don’t let the changing season get you down. There’s no need to hibernate and close yourself off from fun activities. Since you live in one of our California communities, there are many indoor activities and San Francisco attractions you can enjoy year-round. Here are just a few ideas.
Learn Something New
Have you ever had a hankering to play a musical instrument, become a blackjack whiz or bake the world’s most scrumptious chocolate chip cookies? Well, why not learn how to do these things or whatever else that tickles your fancy? You can find a wealth of instructional videos on YouTube and other websites that will walk you step-by-step through how to do virtually anything. You may even run across a craft, skill or activity that you never thought about that sounds like fun. Learning something new not only stimulates your brain, but also can give you hours of pleasure.
Improve Your Physical Fitness
Just because the weather may prevent you from taking your daily walk doesn’t mean that you have to give up on staying physically fit this winter. You can still do aerobic, yoga and other low-impact exercises indoors. It can be especially enjoyable if you join an exercise class. The other members will incentivize you – and vice versa – to keep going and achieve the fitness level you desire. Your body and mind will thank you.
Visit a Museum
The Bay Area has dozens of museums that people come from all over the country to visit. Lucky you! You live reasonably close to all of them and can easily visit as many as you want this winter. Depending on your particular interests, one of the following museums is sure to provide you and your friends, kids and grandkids, with an afternoon or longer of discovery:
- San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
- Asian Art Museum
- The Contemporary Jewish Museum
- Museum of Craft and Design
- Museum of the African Diaspora
- The Walt Disney Family Museum
- Cartoon Art Museum
- Galeria de la Raza
- Museum of 3D Illusions
- The Mexican Museum
- Museum of Craft and Folk Art
- Children’s Creativity Museum
Attend a Sporting Event
The Bay Area boasts numerous professional and college sports teams, all of which are more than happy to strut their stuff for your viewing enjoyment. If you’re a sports enthusiast, why not plan to attend a game or two this winter? Here are the four professional teams and where they play:
- Football: San Francisco is home to the San Francisco 49ers, a consistently great team. Home games are played at Levi’s Stadium. Admittedly, this is an outdoor venue, but considering that San Francisco’s winter temperatures average 70 degrees in October, 64 degrees in November, and 58 degrees in December, that’s almost perfect football weather for any dedicated fan.
- Basketball: The Golden State Warriors play their home games in the new Chase Center in the Mission Bay district.
- Ice hockey: Just to the south of San Francisco, the San Jose Sharks of the National Hockey League play home games at the SAP Center.
- Soccer: San Jose likewise hosts he San Jose Earthquakes, who play their home games at PayPal Park, across from San Jose International Airport.
Whichever of our Elder Care Alliance communities you live in, we offer a wide array of activities, both in-house and away, that will keep you active this winter and loving the life you live.