Your Guide – Visiting a Senior Living Community
Visit several senior living communities, and ask lots of questions! Some of the questions here are for you to ask the community. In contrast, others are questions specifically for you about your experience when visiting or talking to staff. Carry a notepad to take notes while visiting with us or any other senior living community.
Care and Medical Services
- What type of staff is available onsite? For example, are there doctors, physical therapists, a resident care director, or others?
- Is there nursing onsite? How many days per week?
- What kind of training does the staff receive?
- What care levels are offered on campus?
- Independent Living?
- Assisted Living?
- Memory Care?
- Skilled Nursing?
- How often does the staff assess residents’ health care needs?
- Who is included in the assessment process?
- Does the assessment process include the resident, family, community staff, and physician?
- How is care personalized to each resident?
- What is available if care needs change in the future?
- How often are care plans re-examined?
- Who coordinates visits to outside care providers?
- Is transportation provided to appointments?
- How would you describe the community’s culture?
- What are the company’s mission and values?
- Do you see the mission and values shown in the community? Can you give examples?
- What types of activities are available in the different care settings? Is there an activity calendar to take home?
- Do volunteers and community members come into the community to conduct programs?
- What types of programs does the community provide to residents, family members, and the larger community?
- How are residents encouraged to participate in activities?
- Are there travel excursions in the surrounding area?
- Are there spaces for socializing with family and other residents?
- Are pets allowed?
- Are there spiritual programs or religious services available?
- Did you see residents participating in activities, talking to each other and staff?
- Do the residents seem to have interests similar to you or your loved one?
- Did the residents seem happy and at home?
Residence and Amenities
- What types of residences are available?
- Are residents’ rooms private or shared?
- Does the community offer short-term stays?
- Can residents bring their own furnishings to decorate their new living space?
- Are there furnished apartments available?
- Who is responsible for housekeeping and general maintenance of the residences?
- Do residents’ rooms have a sink, microwave, and refrigerator? Is a kitchenette provided?
- What are the dining room hours? What menu options are available at each meal?
- Is alcohol served in the community?
- Do residents have access to outdoor spaces?
- Are the doorways and hallways accommodating for wheelchairs and walkers?
- Is staff available to assist with move-in?
- Are laundry services available?
- Is there a waiting list? If so, how long do they estimate it will take for space to become available?
- Were you greeted with a smile and made to feel welcome as you entered the community?
- Did members of the staff smile and make eye contact with you?
- Did staff members seem to know residents and other staff by name?
- Did the staff member who accompanied you during the visit seem to have your needs in mind?
- Was the staff appropriately dressed, friendly, and outgoing?
- Did the staff members treat each other in a professional manner?
- Were you able to meet the executive director at the community or any management team members?
- How much does this community cost per month?
- Are there additional level of care charges, and if so, how are those structured?
- What is expected at the time of deposit?
- What is expected at the time of move-in?
- What are the monthly billing policies?
- Is additional financial support available through government, private or corporate programs?
- What amenities are included in the rent?
- Is this community a rental or an entrance fee community?
- Are doors locked at night?
- What is the plan for emergencies and natural disasters?
- Who can access the community? Who receives keys to each apartment?
- Are there set visiting hours? What are the rules for visitors?
Assisted Living Resources
We moved both my parents to AlmaVia in November of 2014. Mom to memory care. Dad to assisted living. It’s was the best decision we could have made for them. I toured all the facilities in the area at the time and AlmaVia was the best choice for them.AlmaVia of Camarillo
Where to Begin
Contact us to learn more about the care and culture at Elder Care Alliance communities.